The original 13th-century church must have been located in a position at a right angle to the current one. Its imposing façade, in Rococo style from 1751, has large windows full of friezes.
Its single nave interior is refined with stucco work from 1756 and numerous 17th-century paintings from the Neapolitan school. On its 17th.century choir, there are nine panels of Venetian art which make up the beautiful polyptych attributed to Lazzaro Bastiani, painted in 1470 with the images of St. Francis of Assisi, St. Paul, a Madonna and Child, St. Peter, St. Anthony of Padua, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Louis of Toulouse, St. Bernard of Siena and St. Catherine of Alessandria. Its flat ceiling, decorated by local artist Vito Epifania in1945 covered the painted wooden trusses from the 14th century. Of particular interest are the polychrome stone statues of a Madonna and Child from 1518 and of St. Anthony from 1520, by Stefano da Putignano.
Piazza San Francesco 75100 Matera