The church of the Madonna del Carmine, built by nobleman from Matera, Marcello di Noia, belonged to the convent of the Carmelite Fathers, which they abandoned due to a lack of funds in 1652 until it was incorporated into the Lanfranchi Seminary. The church was not reopened for worship until 1786, as can be read on the plaque to the left of its entrance, on the counter-façade. That same year, the high altar, which was built around 1744 by the marble worker Domenico Antonio Troccoli, was purchased from the Abbey of Montescaglioso. Above the altar, there is a painting by Domenico Mondo representing the Virgin Mary holding out a stole to St. Simon Stock. What is left of its original furnishings are: a dossal with polychrome stone statues, depicting St. Canius on throne with a holy staff, between the bishops Donatus and Eligius and above, St. John the Baptist. On the first altar to the left, there is the polychrome stone statue of a Madonna and Child, by the Master of the Madonna di San Benedetto di Brindisi, and a precious arched decoration with the effigy of Pietro de Querquiis, Abbot Mitrate of Santa Maria de Armeniis from 1507 and the bishop of Mottola, from 1512 to 1524.

Piazzetta Pascoli 75100 Matera


Biglietto di ingresso: