Site of interest
Underneath the modern, main square of the city is the “Fondaco di Mezzo”, an underground medieval market that was buried along with three other neighbourhoods centred on a common well between 1877 and 1892 during the modernization works of the old piazza Plebiscito. In 1991 when the new square was being built, an Aragonese tower and part of the surrounding walls that defended the main entrance to the city, called Porta della Bruna , were unearthed, along with the rock church of Santo Spirito, which had once belonged to the grange of the Knights of Malta.
Biglietto di ingresso:
This site is undergoing restoration.