The church of the Santa Chiara Convent was built between 1700 and 1707 by Monsignor De Los Ryos and granted to the Confraternity of the Blessed Souls of Purgatory who shared its use with the Poor Clares until they built a second sacristy. When the order became cloistered in 1714, the monks moved to the church of Sant’Eligio. On the finely carved wooden doors of the church, there is the coat of arms of the Spanish Archbishop, and on either side, the statues of St. Anne and St. Joachim. Its single nave interior features 18th-century works, attributable to the school of Sebastiano Conca. There are also beautiful wooden altars in Baroque style, which were carved and gilded by the monks. Over the main altar is the painting of the Our Lady of the Rosary between Saints Francis of Assisi and Clare, and on its sides, there are panels depicting St. Agnes of Assisi, St. Clare’s sister, and St. Rose of Viterbo. On the right wall of the choir, there is a canvas of the Virgin Mary with souls in Purgatory, dated 1602, with the portrait and emblem of the patron. Finally, there is a painting of the Immaculate Conception on the right wall.

Via Ridola 75100 Matera


Biglietto di ingresso: