Historical building

The town’s first Archbishopric was thanks to the Archbishop Andrea di Acerenza, who in 1203 moved to Matera and occupied the area of ​​the Monastery of Sant’Eustachio in order to build the Cathedral and the Archbishopric. The building was enlarged in the 17th and 18th centuries and then again, between 1902 and 1906. During the works, a trench was opened that allowed a stratigraphic and continuous reading of the history of the city, from the Bronze Age to the Middle Ages, and a rock church was found about ten metres below the street level of the Civita, with the images of St.Titus, a Pietà and St. Peter, with an inscription in black and red letters “Princeps Apostolorum” (Prince of the Apostles). An opening was left for future exploration near the new wall built in correspondence with the chapel of Santa Maria di Costantinopoli, but since then, no one has gone down into those rooms. The archbishop’s residence is on the first floor and at the end of the corridor there is the Hall of Coats of Arms, frescoed with paintings from 1709 attributed to Anselmo Palmieri di Polla. The work is of considerable interest, because the artist faithfully painted the city of Matera and Acerenza and the 24 towns of the then united archdioceses, from a panoramic perspective.

Piazza Duomo, 7 75100 Matera


Biglietto di ingresso: