Exhibition space, Museum, and Picture gallery

Looking out on Piazza Pascoli, Palazzo Lanfranchi is considered one of the best examples of 17th century architecture in Matera. It was built at the request of Monsignor Lanfranchi between 1668 and 1672  and was intended to be used as a seminary thanks to bequests by the town’s mayor Marco Malvindi and Bishop Lanfranchi’s family. The building was enlarged between 1776 and 1822, due to the increase in the number of seminarians. In 1864 it became the seat of the classical lyceum and hosted a young Giovanni Pascoli during his first years of teaching. Currently, the building hosts the National Museum of Matera, which presents numerous rotating exhibitions linked to the territory, complementing the museum’s permanent exhibitions. Amongst the permanent exhibitions, there is a selection of regional religious works from the 12th – 18th centuries, along with some statues in wood, in polychrome stone and papier-mâché. There are also paintings by local mannerists, and a collection of works consisting of 199 paintings and a sculpture, by writer and painter from Turin, Carlo Levi, owned by the Carlo Levi Cultural Foundation in Rome. This collection includes the famous Lucania 61 panels. In addition, there is the Camillo D’Errico Collection, consisting of about 400 prints and over 300 canvases from the Neapolitan, Venetian, Lombard and Flemish Schools of the 17th and 18th centuries.

Piazzetta Pascoli 75100 Matera


Biglietto di ingresso: